Did you Know that most of South African schools DO NOT have libraries.
We were shocked and saddened by this fact and in going forward the 46664 Bangle initiative in conjunction with 46664 South Africa, Bread-Line Africa, Soul Buddies and the Department of Education have put together an awesome LIBRARY PROJECT INITIATIVE to supply fully stocked container libraries to as many of these disadvantaged schools as possible as our primary Mandela Day Campaign.
Congratulations. The bangle you are wearing was part of that initiative to help generate funds and in conjunction with the primary donor Nestle, we achieved the goal. This library will influence many children and give them that extra boost that will allow them an opportunity to use education to eradicate poverty.
The 46664 Library Schools project aims are to be able to deliver at least 100 units in the next twelve months. The need is much larger but realistic goals must be set and considering the fact that an average of 700 kids occupy each school we are hopeful that by targeting the specific school in areas of greatest need we will have a positive influence over may a childs life and indeed create an environment that allows the children to be educated. Nestle has helped us successfully deliver this library to Mpumelelo High School in Escort.
The container Library concept is not new to South Africa and previous installed libraries although few have had significant effects in making a real and sustainable difference in the childrens life.
The project is made up of a number of critical components but it all starts with you and your bangle.
Ensure early learner access to reading opportunities and tool to learn how to read so they can use reading to learn, leading to:
• Improved Literacy in children
• Expanded horizon of possibilities and help children to understand access to opportunity starts with education.
• provide impoverished and disadvantages school access to equality in literacy and schooling.
• Bangle factory workers benefited by hand making the bangles and boxes they came in promoting skills development and access to jobs.
Nestle In partnership with 46664 bangles, Breadline Africa, Rotary International, Read Foundation and the Nelson Mandela Foundation made it possible for 46664 South Africa to issue the grant, enabling the Library delivery:
• Nestle Identify the school in Escort with a focus on Science, Math and English.
• Educate the educators in the skill of library management and community involvement.
• Facilitate access of library to the extended community for all children.
• Make the library sustainable for many years to come with book top up programs under the Mandela Day banner.
• Localise and make the Library specific to specialised needs of schools.
• Address and impress on the students the Social Justice message of Mandela Day and that education is indeed a means of breaking the chains of poverty.